Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween


IT'S HALLOWEEN by Jack Prelutsky~

It's Halloween! It's Halloween!
The moon is full and bright
And we shall see what can't be seen
On any other night.

Skeletons and ghosts and ghouls,
Grinning goblins fighting duels,
Werewolves rising from their tombs,
Witches on their magic brooms.

In masks and gowns
we haunt the street
And knock on doors
for trick or treat.

Tonight we are
the king and queen,
For oh tonight
it's Halloween!

Its Halloween day and I have no costume to wear, simply because I didn't have the enthu to go and get one and dress up to come to work in a costume. Almost everyone at work is dressed up and I feel like a kid who is left out in a colorful fancy-dress competition. I tell myself that maybe next year, I will sum up the courage and venture out to try out some costume that will suit me. My colleagues are knocking on my door and showing off their costumes, we have a costume contest at lunch and as HR I again feel so left out and a little out of place. It is becoming harder for me to respond to their queries on Why I haven't dressed up, because it looks like it is part of my HR duties to not only coordinate the events, but also dress up and soak in the spirit of the day.

But, I did make it a point to go and decorate our front lawn a few weeks ago with some skeleton heads, cobwebs and halloween stuff (picture will follow soon) and I am fully equipped with variety candy to treat the kids when they come around for trick or treating tonight- I so look forward to that every Halloween and am hoping that there is no rain to stop the kids from coming around the neighbourhood tonight.

Happy Halloween and enjoy your weekend.

15 comments:

Aparna said...

Happy Halloween to you! Well, I don't know if I would have dressed up in costumes if I were in your position. Like you, I would have decorated my lawn/backyard, participated by doling out play dohs/pens/crayons and the likes to the cutely dressed kids - but then I don't know. I might be tempted to do it. I do have this wild streak now and then ;) Get dressed like a madisar mami ;) Well, when one can be a nurse, we can do this right?! I don't know. May be I would like to be dressed as a vampire or witch?! hmmmm...good one. Should take one of those halloween quizzes on blogthings and find out :)

Cham said...

Happy Halloween. I take my son around my colony for trick or treat, tonight!
First of all, all those costumes are just too expensive for adult/kid, and we can wear only once. Better buy a mask and scare everyone around u. But it is fun for kids as far i know ...

Aparna said...

oh yeah! Cham is right about the expense. Way too expensive for a one time thingie. The one time I had to dress my kiddo, I had a hand me down black cat costume :) Washed and used it. :D

anudivya said...

aparna...
Mitr, would probably end up looking cute wearing a "madisaar". Isn't she aiming to be scary? :) He he he.

Aparna said...

anudivya
well, halloween need not be scary costumes only right? don't girls dress up like cute princesses or fairies?!

mitr_bayarea said...

Ladies,

The costumes can span a wide range, besides the madisar (Thanks Anudiyva for the vote of confidence that I would look cute in one). Some of the costumes at my work today which fall under categories most scariest, creative and funniest are- Sarah Palin, mad doctor/mad scitentist, fairy, bumble bee, convict, charlie's angels, 3 musketeers, boxing champion, pirate etc.

anudivya said...

Whoa. It was a joke!
Of course everyone knows that people dress up as angels and fairies and what not!

Aparna said...

got that! :D

Uma said...

It't not that easy to get used to wear costumes like people here. As Cham said, it is more fun for kids than us! What say? Have fun with treating kids with lot of candies. Luckily rain stopped for us here! Happy Halloween and also a great weekend.

Shankar said...

Happy Halloween to you too......Good that the halloween thing hasn't caught the attention majorly in India yet....

Jayashree said...

Have a happy halloween. Know what??? There's a pic on the Chennai edition of Times of India showing kids trick-or-treating at Kotturpuram :-))

Arundathi said...

Happy Halloween to you too!

Laavanya said...

Yeah.. i agree it's quite daunting to come up with costumes... My daughter was dressed up as a princess but she wasn't very interested... maybe next year.

Krishnan said...

Mitr: Happy Halloween rather belatedly. Today is a historic day for US with Obama elected as President. I am expecting you to post your views on his victory and what it means to folks like you.

SASA said...

very belated halloween to you. A & I wanted to wear a costume just for our kids sake,it looked like a nice idea then, but with all that was going on, just moved over the plan for next year.
but like you said, never missed the fun of treating all the kids!
Sarah Palin,Boxing Champ,mad scientist..nice variety!