Friday, May 12, 2006

Mother's Day Weekend






Happy Mother's Day to All Mom's!!!

Mothers are special to everybody and no matter how ever older you grow, you would still remain young in your mom's eyes. I have often tried to comprehend the difference in relationship between a mom and her son versus a mom and a daughter. Both son and daughter share a precious unique bond with their mothers that has evolved over time and continues to exist.

The concept of celebrating "Mother's Day" is western and is also spreading quickly to places like India etc. Its yet another occasion to have a sale in every store, have mother's day brunches, cards, gift baskets etc. I am not sure about mom's in this country, but many Indian mother's are extremely sacrificial and ask very less of their children. When i talk about buying a gift for my mom, who happens to be here with me this year on Mother's day, she says- Oh, i don't want anything. Just remain happy with your husband and live healthy. She reads the numerous sale advertisements that come on our daily paper and says, Why don't i get you something for Mother's Day, instead of you buying me a gift.

Well, most Indian mom's lead a very simple life. The memories and images that i carry of my mother are her waking up daily to make my morning cup of bournvita, making and packing lunch for me be it to school college or work, running around to attend to my dad's needs and get herself upto the office(she was a working mother). In the afternoons, when i was back from school, she would call to check on me if i had my food, started my homework etc. and in the evenings she would come back and make dinner and tuck me in. She has always taken extreme care of giving me a healthy diet, my vitamins and also in making sure i work out and lose weight. Her passion for cleaning my apartment in the US, organizing my kitchen, making podis and also reading up on career trends for my profession will always be cherishable.

I am sure every one of you would have a lot of memories of your mothers, make sure that you let her know that you value the things she does for you, even if she is in a faraway land, praying for you and learning to come online and type/chat with you.


Happy Mother's Day!!!

8 comments:

Anand said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY mitr :) guess ur mother is with u this time :) cool.. have a grea time...

tt_giant said...

Happy annayar dinam. To me, they are too precious to be celebrated only one day of the year.

mitr_bayarea said...

Thanks for the wishes.

Balaji said...

Neril Nindru
Pesum Dheivam
Pettra Thaayandri Verondru Edhu... :)

Me too said...

Mitr, hope you had a fantastic time with your mom this year!

Anu said...

Mitr...
Mom's are always special .nice post... n ur really rt abt moms nowadays learning the nuances of tech communication,..:)

Anu

Viji said...

Hey, very nice post Mitr!! :))

Valérie Berta Torales said...

Nice to find a voice from a different perspective.